Sam S. Shubert Theatre

Sam S. Shubert Theatre


Producing team Lee and J.J. Shubert opened the Shubert Theatre, named for their late brother Sam, in 1913. Its rear pathway, intended as a fire exit and private loading zone, became known as Shubert Alley, a legendary Broadway thoroughfare and gathering place. The Shubert made history from 1975 to 1990 with A Chorus Line, whose 6,137-performance run became the longest-running Broadway show of the time.

Read Full "At This Theatre"
  • Built: 1913
  • Number of Seats: 1435
  • Longest Running Show: A Chorus Line
  • Performances: 5,305
  • Stage Door: As you exit the main 44th St. doors, turn left into Shubert Alley. The stage door is a gold door marked "Stage Door" located between several large theatre advertising posters.
  • Bathrooms: Ladies and Men's: Down one flight of 20 steps from the orchestra level, and on the mezzanine and balcony levels. Wheelchair accessible restrooms are located at Sardi's (4th floor), directly across the street.

Owner History

Jan 1, 1973 - The Shubert Organization Theatre Owner
Jan 1, 1924 - Oct 20, 1931 Shubert Theatre Corporation Theatre Owner
Feb 11, 1921 - Dec 31, 1924 Messrs. Shubert (Lee and J. J.) Theatre Owner
Sam S. Shubert Theatre
    • 225 W. 44th St.
    • New York
    • NY
    • United States